42-pounder Gun Of 1786
National Museum Of The U.S. Navy, Washington, District Of Columbia
Content Description: The French seventy-four gun ship Hoche originally carried this gun. She was captured by the English, who sold the battery to the United States. This gun served for a time on a Haytian privateer and was then returned to New York until the War of 1812. During the war, it was mounted on the privateer General Armstrong. While at Fayat, Azores, on September 28, 1814, the General Armstrong repulsed a boat attack by the English squadron with severe loss to the enemy. Later, it was necessary to sink the ship to avoid capture. Some years later this gun was recovered and presented to the United Stated by the Portuguese government.