Seventy four-gun model. The original ship was designed by William Doughty, built at the Boston Navy Yard from 1818-1848, and launched September 14, 1848.The Vermont was one of the nine ships-of-the-line (the wooden sailing-ship equivalent of the later battleship) authorized by the Congress on April 29, 1816, to provide a seagoing defense capable of preventing a foreign enemy from imposing the kind of blockade inflicted on the United States by the Royal Navy during the War of 1812. Six of these ships were laid down between 1817 and 1822 to a design prepared by Naval Constructor William Doughty. They are variously referred to as the Delaware Class, for the first ship to be laid down, or the North Carolina Class, for the first ship to go into commission.Of the six, only two (Delaware and North Carolina) saw commissioned service in their designed role as warships. For reasons of economy, work on all six proceeded slowly. Nort Carolina was commissioned in 1824 and Delaware in 1828; both served as flagships on overseas stations. A third ship, Alabama, was only commissioned in 1864 as a supply ship after being renamed New Hampshire. Two more were never completed.The sixth ship of the class, Vermont, was laid down at Boston Navy Yard in September 1818. Due to the shortage of funds, she spent 30 years on the stocks before being launched on September 15, 1848. Even then she was not completed; only after the Civil War began was she finally fitted out. On January 30, 1862, Vermont was commissioned as a supply and receiving ship for the Sotuh Atlantic Blockading Squadron, with a battery of four 8-inch shell guns and 20 earlier-pattern 32-pounder solid-shot guns. As orginally designed, Vermont would have mounted thirty-two 32-pounder muzzleloading smoothbore guns on her lower gun deck; thirty-two 32-pounders, of a lighter model for reasons of stability, on her upper gun deck; and twenty-four 32-pounder carronades, light short-range weapons using a smaller powder charge, on the spar deck. Two 32-pounder "long guns" of the type mounted on the lower gun deck were carried fowarad on the spar deck as "bow chasers." served in her support role at Port Royal, South Carolina, until the summer of 1864 when she was ordered to New York for duty as a receiving ship. She was decommissioned on September 30, 1865, recommissioned on July 1, 1884, for further service as a receiving ship at New York. Vermont was placed out of commission on August 31, 1901, and was sold on April 17, 1902.