This building housed the U.S. Supreme Court from 1791 to 1800.Located on the corner of Chestnut and 5th Streets, Old City Hall is open year round, with hours varying by season. Visitors are admitted free of charge on a first-come, first-served basis. A portion of the building serves as the security screening entrance onto Independence Square. Ranger led programs are offered. Built as the City Hall of Philadelphia, the building was used by the U. S. Supreme Court from the time the building was completed in 1791 until 1800 when the Federal Government was moved to Washington D. C.. The municipal government and courts occupied the building during the 19th century.